Oak Ridge, Tennessee/oakridge116Previous | Home | Next
The Graphite Reactor produced the raw material; the Chemical separations building is the site of the initial gross separation. The products for analysis were transferred to the laboratory, 150 meters southeast. If necessary, initial manipulations could be performed in the "hot" laboratory. The ion chromatography separations of the rare earths were performed in Glendenin's laboratory (Marinsky, Glendenin, and Coryell were the formal discoverers in 1945). Spectrometric tools were in another part of the chemical laboratory; in the east wing Glen Seaborg's research group was stationed. During World War II the Graphite Reactor building was painted black.